Willem has been an attorney at Pels Rijcken for over 20 years and is one of the most experienced litigators in the Netherlands. Having started as an attorney before the Dutch Supreme Court, Willem soon developed a general litigation practice and has been involved in over 300 summary proceedings and almost as many proceedings on the merits. He deals with complex civil disputes which often concern issues of liability and compensation for damages. Willem is considered a leading expert in procedural law and uses and shares this expertise in and outside of his work.
Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2016:
"Willem Heemskerk is appreciated by clients: "He is really
experienced, pleasant to work with and no-nonsense."
Legal 500: "Willem Heemskerk is 'always able to think outside the box'."
- Proceedings involving an Air Cargo cartel and a prestressing steel cartel: follow-on actions submitted to the District Courts of Amsterdam and Limburg, in which airlines and steel producers are being addressed in connection to decisions by the European Commission on the grounds of cartel formation.
- The shooting incident in Alphen aan den Rijn: Willem associated with procedures in response to the shooting incident in Alphen aan den Rijn on 9 April 2011.
- Dutch Safety Board/ Chemie-Pack: Willem assisted the Dutch Safety Board in preliminary relief proceedings in two instances, during which Chemie-Pack attempted, in vain, to hold back the publication of an investigation report on the fire at Chemie-Pack.
- Editor of the standard guide to Dutch procedural law “Hoofdlijnen van Nederlands burgerlijk procesrecht”, W. Hugenholtz / W.H. Heemskerk (24th edition), 2015
- Member of the Advisory Committee (formerly the Government Committee) on civil procedural law
- Lecturer, Netherlands Bar Association's professional courses,
- Editor of the journal 'Advocatenblad', 2000-2005
- Member of the editorial team of the journal 'Burgerlijke Rechtsvordering', 2001-2014
- International Bar Association
- Litigation Association
- Dutch Association for Procedural Law
- , 2018
- "Sources tout him as a 'very experienced litigator' who has 'a broad view' and 'in-depth knowledge' of the way the law is applied.", Chambers Global 2018
- "He is a real litigator: resolute and committed to his clients. With a flexible mind, he is able to think outside the box and come up with solutions, no matter how complicated the question he's dealing with.", Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2017
- "Well-respected firm Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is ahead of the curve; its team comprises experienced, smart and very responsive litigators, including the down-to-earth Willem Heemskerk, [...].", Legal 500 2017
- “Willem Heemskerk is appreciated by clients: ‘He is really experienced, pleasant to work with and no-nonsense’.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2016
- "Willem Heemskerk is 'always able to think outside the box'.", Legal 500 2016
- "He is an outstanding lawyer. He deals with complicated cases in a timely manner.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2015
- "The 'pleasant' and 'hardworking' Willem Heemskerk has 'very good negotiation skills'.", Legal 500 2015
- "He is very fast and thorough, and good at addressing all the sides of complicated matters.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2014
- "Within five minutes he can find a way to tackle any problem. He’s good at his work and also good to work with.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2013