Martijn has been working at Pels Rijcken since 1997 and is a specialist in the cassation practice before the Supreme Court. Mainly acting on behalf of government institutions, he handles cases in the area of private law in relation to the public sector, which includes questions relating to unlawful government acts and government contracting. He regularly publishes and teaches in these fields. In addition, he handles cases concerning commercial disputes and has extensive experience with international dispute resolution through arbitration. He is also interested in other forms of dispute resolution, particularly with respect to corporate social responsibility.
Martijn has a 'band 4-ranking' in Intellectual Property, Chambers Europe 2016.
- Supreme Court 22 May 2015, ECLI:NL:HR:2015:1272 (BAE/Modsaf): Proceedings to set aside an arbitral award in a long, drawn-out international arbitration. The Supreme Court provided clarity regarding the question of how arbitrators should deal with their contracts in relation to the interpretation of a partial final arbitral award which they pronounced previously.
- Supreme Court 20 March 2015, ECLI:NL:HR:2015:661 (Expropriation SNS): In this proceedings, the appeal in cassation lodged on behalf of the State resulted in the Supreme Court formulating important viewpoints about determining the level of compensation in connection with the expropriation of SNS Bank and SNS Reaal.
- Professor, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam
- Treasurer, Association for Civil Law
- Board member ACCESS (www.accessfacility.org)
- Member of the editorial team of the journal 'Juridische Aansprakelijkheid', Sdu, The Hague
- Committee member, Dutch Lawyers Association, 2011-2015
- Lecturer, Grotius course for Municipal Lawyers, Nijmegen
- Lecturer, various educational institutes
- On the staff of the journal 'Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Bestuursrecht', Deventer
- Dutch Association for Civil Law
- Dutch Lawyers Association
- Expropriation Lawyers Association
- Association of Informatics Lawyers VIRA
- VAR Administrative Law Association
- Dutch Association for Procedural Law
- Head of the training centre
- "The 'superb' Martijn Scheltema of Hague-based Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn N.V. benefits from a strong reputation in both the Dutch and the international market. One market commentator stated: 'He is a renowned expert and very involved with the UN Guiding Principles'.", Chambers Global 2018 (Business & Human Rights)
- "One source describes him as 'a tremendous and very technical lawyer', adding: 'If I need some advice on a highly technical legal issue, I would go to him. On top of that, he has the soul of human rights as well. He is part of the small group of worldwide lawyers who knows human rights very well'.", Chambers Global 2017 (Business & Human Rights)
- "According to sources he is 'very good - a great team player with excellent quality'.", Chambers Europe 2016
- "Martijn Scheltema maintains a leading Supreme Court practice, which includes setting-aside proceedings.", Legal 500 2016 (arbitration)
- “Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV’s ‘very collaborative’ practice, led by the ‘very sharp’ Martijn Scheltema, is praised for its ‘good response times’.”, Legal 500 2016 (IP)