Public Order and Undermining
Public Order and Undermining Help Desk: 070-5153 476
Public Order and Undermining are topics that the government has to deal with on a daily basis. How can an announced demonstration be kept under control or, in extreme cases, be prohibited? What measures are appropriate for high-risk events? What instruments can be used to take action against an immediate or imminent disturbance of public order?
Sometimes these subjects also go hand in hand. Undermining no longer concerns only the traditional intermingling of the underworld and the legitimate world in the branches that are susceptible to this such as cannabis coffeeshops and sex establishments. This could also concern the use of homes or warehouses for criminal activities, or shops or hospitality and catering establishments that play a role in the laundering of criminal money or in the drug trade. Or home prostitution which is used as a front to hide people trafficking from the police and the municipality. This is no longer a matter for the police and the judicial authorities alone. The undermining effect of criminality can present a direct threat to public order and quality of life and requires assertive action from the government. An integrated approach is necessary in order to prevent relocation of the problem.
The lawyers of Pels Rijcken regularly advise and litigate with regard to the broad array of instruments available to local and regional authorities. Our knowledge and experience enables us to work with you to deliver customised solutions. Examples of this include the application of the Public Administration (Probity Screening) Act or boarding up houses and office buildings under the Municipalities Act, the Opium Act or the General Municipal By-law. Sometimes the problems extend further and a regional approach is required. Urgent situations might require imposing an area designation or the deployment of a special or emergency power of the mayor.
We would be happy to exchange ideas with you about practicable measures for the short term as well as the long term. Are your regulations still up to date? Perhaps licensing systems or subsidy schemes could be better geared to (new) vulnerable branches or areas. And is your enforcement policy still compatible with the latest insights? Pels Rijcken brings the law into your practice.
Pels Rijcken can also help you with questions about:
- Integrity within public administration
- Area designations and area bans
- Temporary Domestic Exclusion Order Act
- Data exchange
Public Order and Undermining Help Desk: 070 5153 476
Would you like to exchange ideas and brainstorm about how undermining activities are dealt with in your region? Or about an imminent disruption of the public order? Pels Rijcken's Public Order and Undermining Help Desk is especially for public authorities. You can get answers here to your questions about the protection of public order and public safety in your region. Please contact Irene van der Heijden for more information. You can reach her at 070-5153 476.
- "They communicate in a very effective way and are fast, accurate, concise, accessible and easy to get along with. They can provide a high-end legal solution on complex issues at very short notice.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "They have the ability to see things from the perspective of the client, in order to provide realistic and practical advice.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "It is very customer-focused and has proved to us that it has extensive knowledge. A lot of attention is paid to fostering a good working relationship with the client.", Chambers Europe 2016
- "It is accessible, it has deep knowledge of public law and it practises law in a way that adds significant value to the client's business.", Chambers Europe 2016
- "The team's sector knowledge is 'up to date and thorough'.", Legal 500 2016