Supreme Court Litigation
Handling cases that are brought before the Supreme Court is, in itself, a specialist area, and Pels Rijcken is the Netherlands’ most distinguished firm in this field. Its cassation department has been delivering quality services for many decades, handling both civil and tax-related appeals cases.
The fifteen lawyers at the department combine their knowledge of procedural law and appeals techniques with their expertise in all areas of the law. They represent clients in both the public and private sector, and usually act on behalf of the attorney thathandled the case in the District Court and the Court of Appeal.
Cases brought before the Supreme Court differ in nature to those brought before the District Courts or the Courts of Appeals. Pels Rijcken can offer assistance at every stage of a procedure, and in every form, whether it entails a quick scan, comprehensive advice or a complete cassation procedure. We work closely with the party who commissioned us to achieve the best attainable results for the client. On request, we offer assistance in appeal proceedings before the Courts of Appeal too.
At present, the Supreme Court Bar is entering into a new phase: lawyers from outside The Hague can now also, once they meet the admission requirements, handle cassation procedures. This does not diminish the fact that experience and expertise are still essential for litigating before the Supreme Court. Moreover, Pels Rijcken is close to the source: the firm is involved in about a third of all civil appeals cases.
- "The team is very quick to respond to requests for legal opinions on issues, and well-researched and lucid advice is generally available on short notice.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2018
- "They are very thorough and meticulous.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2018
- "The team's advice to multinationals and the Dutch state is 'always very concise, clear and excellent'. It is jointly led by 'real litigator' Willem Heemskerk, who is 'committed to his clients' and 'always able to think outside the box', and the 'sharp' Hans van Wijk, who is 'a specialist in Supreme Court matters' and 'very thorough in his approach'. Bert-Jan Houtzagers is also recommended for 'always delivering pragmatic advice on complex matters'.", Legal 500 2018
- "Sources are impressed with the way the firm's culture matched up to its reputation: The firm is a class act and a veritable institution in The Hague. The lawyers are friendly, co-operative and knowledgeable, setting a high standard for competitors in the Dutch legal market, adding that it is a leading firm in the area of Dutch administrative law.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2017
- "They are fast and they always give us their reviews and answers quickly, and the quality is perfect. They got to know us and our business and that's important.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2017
- "Well-respected firm Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is ahead of the curve; its team comprises experienced, smart and very responsive litigators, including the down-to-earth Willem Heemskerk, sharp lawyer Hans van Wijk and Bert-Jan Houtzagers, who always gives pragmatic advice.", Legal 500 2017
- "The lawyers here are very dedicated and keep to strict deadlines. They know what they are talking about especially with regard to Supreme Court proceedings.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2016
- "The team always leaves enough time to discuss our briefs and drafts and we are always able to get in touch with the partner. The firm is very flexible, client-oriented, efficient and effective.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2016
- "One of the top firms in the Netherlands, Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is particularly renowned for its Supreme Court litigation practice. ", Legal 500 2016