Planning and Environmental Law
Because the soil, air and water can be used in different ways, choices must continuously be made and major and conflicting interests are often at stake. Environmental management law quickly comes into play.
Pels Rijcken is the only Dutch firm that has a team of attorneys specialised in Planning and Environment. About 20 attorneys work on the legal consequences of these environmental choices every day. They master all the elements of environmental law down to the smallest nuances.
Topics with which they assist their clients are infrastructure (roads, railroads, airports), area development, windmills, flood protection, water quality and quantity, noise pollution, nature conservation and development, environmental liability, enforcement, soil pollution, waste products, tunnel safety, traffic prognoses, external safety, expropriation, compensation for loss resulting from administrative acts, the Dutch Spatial Planning Act (WRO), the Dutch General Provisions Act (WABO), Environmental Impact Assessment (MER) and the Dutch Crisis and Recovery Act.
They litigate, give second opinions and are able to act as a sounding board, also when it only concerns a specific part of a case. The specific knowledge and experience of the attorneys in the Planning and Environment team always guarantee 'to the point' legal analyses and practical and fast solutions. The CrashTest, a quick-scan of legal pitfalls, that the team developed protects clients from politically sensitive setbacks in court. Furthermore, a team of experts is always at the ready to undertake legal action in the event of unforeseen environmental disasters on land or at sea.
Ladder for sustainable urbanisation
The Ladder for sustainable urbanisation was introduced in 2012. This also forms an integral part of the activities our team carries out, whether for municipalities & provinces or in connection with contracts for property developers & retailers. Daniëlle Roelands-Fransen explains the ladder (in Dutch).
- "They communicate in a very effective way and are fast, accurate, concise, accessible and easy to get along with. They can provide a high-end legal solution on complex issues at very short notice.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "They have the ability to see things from the perspective of the client, in order to provide realistic and practical advice.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "The 'very effective communicators' are 'always impressive', delivering 'high-end solutions to complex issues at very short notice'.", Legal 500 2018
- "The team has impressed me many times. It is a close-knit team which is fast, accurate, concise, always accessible and easy to get along with. They are also able to provide high-end legal solutions on complex issues at very short notice.", Chambers Europe 2017
- "New developments are always on top of their mind and they develop pragmatic legal products which are very useful.", Chambers Europe 2017
- "It is very customer-focused and has proved to us that it has extensive knowledge. A lot of attention is paid to fostering a good working relationship with the client.", Chambers Europe 2016
- "It is accessible, it has deep knowledge of public law and it practises law in a way that adds significant value to the client's business.", Chambers Europe 2016
- "The team's sector knowledge is 'up to date and thorough'.", Legal 500 2016