Litigation & Arbitration
Pels Rijcken has ample experience with handling legal proceedings in front of all Dutch and European judiciary bodies.
The Litigation & Arbitration team has an excellent track record in providing strategic legal advice and second opinions, both during legal proceedings as well as prior to these. Their expertise covers all possible stages of a case, whether it concerns summary proceedings, proceedings on the merits or arbitration, proceedings at first instance, appeals or cassation or a set of complex (related) legal proceedings. This also includes attachments and execution disputes, collective actions and procedures establishing the amounts payable in damages.
Pels Rijcken's Litigation & Arbitration team includes attorneys who support both private and public sector clients from various lines of approach in a fast, efficient and dedicated fashion. The attorneys were involved in high-profile proceedings in various areas. Some examples are liability law (the fire at Chemie-Pack Moerdijk and matters relating to cartel damage), contract and corporate law (with regard to the banking industry's duty of care) and media law (with regard to domain names of members of government). Pels Rijcken was also involved in arbitrations concerning the HSL (high speed trains), the Western Scheldt Tunnel and the Joint Strike Fighter.
Pels Rijcken's clients include various commercial institutions such as insurance companies and companies (quoted on the stock exchange). Also on the firm's client list are the State, supervisors and various lower-level governments.
- "The team is very quick to respond to requests for legal opinions on issues, and well-researched and lucid advice is generally available on short notice.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2018
- "They are very thorough and meticulous.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2018
- "The team's advice to multinationals and the Dutch state is 'always very concise, clear and excellent'. It is jointly led by 'real litigator' Willem Heemskerk, who is 'committed to his clients' and 'always able to think outside the box', and the 'sharp' Hans van Wijk, who is 'a specialist in Supreme Court matters' and 'very thorough in his approach'. Bert-Jan Houtzagers is also recommended for 'always delivering pragmatic advice on complex matters'.", Legal 500 2018
- "Sources are impressed with the way the firm's culture matched up to its reputation: The firm is a class act and a veritable institution in The Hague. The lawyers are friendly, co-operative and knowledgeable, setting a high standard for competitors in the Dutch legal market, adding that it is a leading firm in the area of Dutch administrative law.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2017
- "They are fast and they always give us their reviews and answers quickly, and the quality is perfect. They got to know us and our business and that's important.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2017
- "Well-respected firm Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is ahead of the curve; its team comprises experienced, smart and very responsive litigators, including the down-to-earth Willem Heemskerk, sharp lawyer Hans van Wijk and Bert-Jan Houtzagers, who always gives pragmatic advice.", Legal 500 2017
- "The lawyers here are very dedicated and keep to strict deadlines. They know what they are talking about especially with regard to Supreme Court proceedings.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2016
- "The team always leaves enough time to discuss our briefs and drafts and we are always able to get in touch with the partner. The firm is very flexible, client-oriented, efficient and effective.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2016
- "One of the top firms in the Netherlands, Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is particularly renowned for its Supreme Court litigation practice. ", Legal 500 2016