Employment law encompasses everything concerning the relationship between (government) employers and – employees. This includes both individual as well as collective employment law and public service law, co-determination, pension law, transfer of undertakings, reorganisation, flexible labour relations, right to strike, social security, the legal status of directors mandated under articles of association, employer’s liability, integrity and equal treatment.
Pels Rijcken's attorneys have experience in all of these fields. They litigate, provide advice and negotiate for both large and smaller companies, as well as for the State, provinces, municipalities, other governments and NGOs.
The manner in which labour relations are regulated has a great societal impact, and is a permanent topic of public and political debate for this reason. Pels Rijcken's attorneys are closely involved with this debate, and through their involvement they know both the content as well as the rationale of (collective) terms of employment, laws and (legal status) regulations unlike any other. Drawing upon their solid foundation in employment law, they can convincingly argue their cases before any court. All attorneys closely follow current developments such as the flexibilisation of employment contracts.
Pels Rijcken's attorneys have a hands-on mentality. They possess ample litigation experience and are the trusted advisors of many (government) employers. They are tenacious and spare no effort in order to get to the bottom of any legal issue. Whenever possible, they opt for the most practical solution. They also have experience in supervising mediation.
Government employers value the fact that Pels Rijcken combines comprehensive knowledge of employment law in the public sector with the politically administrative sensitivity that is Pels Rijcken's hallmark. Furthermore, Pels Rijcken has experience unlike any other in handling disputes concerning integrity problems in the public domain. Corporate employers view Pels Rijcken as a reliable sparring partner, who when providing advice combines state-of-the-art knowledge of the respective employer with employment law best practices.
The lawyers at Pels Rijcken follow developments very closely within their client's organisations and in the world at large in order to be able to promptly anticipate their need for legal support. Three current themes that specialised teams within the Employment Law Department are engaged with are Standardisation, the Work and Security Act, and Integrity in the Workplace.
- "A highly professional and respected labour team who achieve good results while maintaining a pleasant relationship.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "Knowledgeable, emphatic and flexible.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "Clients commend the team for its excellent client service, saying: They provide a high standard of professional legal advice and support which meets our own high professional standards.", Chambers Europe, 2017
- "They take excellent care of the personal relationship with us.", Chambers Europe 2017
- "Pels Rijcken is excellent, particularly in terms of response times, appropriateness of advice and personal contact. Its overall level of service is outstanding.", Chambers Europe 2016
- "The team is accurate, working without delay and within short time limits. It shows in-depth knowledge in the field of its expertise and it is very flexible and quick.", Chambers Europe 2016
- "Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV's 'truly excellent' department is led by Sandra van Heukelom-Verhage.", Legal 500 2016